The history of Psara
In ancient times, the original name of Psara was Psura, Psririn or Psyria. Initially, it was unclear whether the island of Psara was inhabited or not, because the writings of ancient historians testified sometimes the existence and sometimes the absence of culture. Through the years, the excavation of an ancient village at the port of the island, as well as in the area of Palaiokastro, dating back from the 3rd to the 1st century BC, confirm the existence of early inhabitants.
During the 16th to 17th centuries the island was reestablished by the Thessalians and Evvoes. The main occupation of the inhabitants was shipping, resulting Psara to become the third largest naval force following Hydra and Spetses. During the period of the Greek Revolution, the strong resistance of the Psarians and the torching of many Turkish ships by Kanari, Papanikoli and Nikodimos, remained in the history. The courage and prowess of the Psarians, including Bratsanus, Apostolis, Kalafatis, Patatoukou, Stamataras, Nicolaras and others, against the Turkish yoke, led to the Holocaust of Psara by the Turks in 1824.
Dionysios Solomos wrote a poem for the catastrophe of Psara island.
Finally, in 1912 Psara was under Italian occupation where in October of the same year they were incorporated in Greece. From that period until now, Psara is characterized by a gradual advance with a focus on shipping and tourism development of the island.